- Irish Wargaming Directory
- Competition Reports
- Recent posts
- News Archive
RINIWA's 2012 Brian Boru competition will this year take place on Saturday and Sunday, 20-21st October 2012 in the Gamers' Word Shop, Jervis Street, Dublin 1. The competition will begin at 10am and conclude no later than 6pm on both days, with first round games commencing at 10am on the Saturday. Registration will take place during the first game and the entry fee is €25.
This is a 2-day, 4-round themed DBMM event, featuring armies from this year's chosen theme - From Manzikert to Mohacs, armies and enemies of the Seljuq and Ottoman Turks 1071-1526.
The list of permitted armies and associated date ranges has now been finalised and is given below. To encourage the use of Turkish armies in the spirit of the theme, there will be a special "Super Sultan" prize for the player with the highest non-podium finish using an army based on one of the Turkish lists marked * on the list of permitted armies below.
Army size for the competition is 400AP.
The main organiser and list checker is Jan van Embden, who can be contacted by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Players who submit their lists by Friday 5th October 2012 will be eligible for for entry in the draw for a door prize.
The rules used will be DBMM v2.0 plus the current version of the DBMM Commentary.
• Armies must be 400AP or less.
• Armies must be from the theme below using DBMM Lists Books 2-4
• Basemats will be provided, players must supply their own terrain.
• The decisions of the umpire are final.
• Games will be 3.5 hours +/- 15 minutes in duration. The exact time will be secretly determined by the umpire.
• Games will end immediately (whistle stop) when the umpire calls time. Roll no more dice, move no more troops and proceed to the end of the bound evaluation of commands breaking/disheartening etc and then calculate the scores,
There will be a non-playing umpire who will only play against the bottom of the draw if there is an uneven number of players. In this event, the bottom of the draw player will receive a bye score of 25, regardless of the actual score of the game against the umpire. However, for the purposes of calculating the draw for the following round, the bye score will count as 13.
• If a player arrives late for a competition game without an exceptional reason (discuss with the umpire) they will be subject to the following cumulative penalties: 1) More than 10 minutes late: Their opponent may elect to be attacker or defender (roll aggression dice normally to determine the geographical orientation of the table). 2) More than 20 minutes late: their opponent may additionally elect to deploy either first or second (roll set-up dice normally to determine the time).
3) More than 30 minutes late: They must forfeit the game 25-0.
• A player who is late for a bye game with the umpire will receive 15 minutes grace. If they are 15-30 minutes late, the bye score will be reduced to 13. If they are more than 30 minutes late, they will get zero.
The list of permitted armies is as follows:
3/11 Central Asian Turk*
3/54 Dynastic Beduoin - Qaramita Only
3/61 Dynastic Kurdish
3/64 Ghaznavid - No Brilliant C-in-C, no allies
3/66 Fatimid Egptian
3/74 Seljuq Turk*
3/76 Konstantinian Byzantine
4/1 Komenan Byzantine
4/2 Cilician Armenian
4/7 Early Crusader
4/15 Qara Khitan
4/17 Later Crusader
4/20 Ayyubid Egyptian
4/22 Serbian Empire - Post 1360 options only
4/25 Early Bulgar - Post 1360 options only
4/26 Lusignan Cypriot
4/31 Nikiain Byzantine
4/32 Romanian Frank
4/34 Trapezuntine Byzantine
4/35 Mongol Conquest - No in China Options or Brilliant C-in-C
4/39 Navarrese - Navarrese in Greece options only
4/42 Islamic Persian
4/43 Later Hungarian - Post 1360 options only, No Paduan Allies
4/45 Mamluk Egyptian
4/49 Anatolian Turkoman*
4/50 Palaiologan Byzantine
4/51 Morean Byzantine
4/55 Ottoman Turk*
4/56 Order of St. John
4/60 Catalan Company
4/61 Italian Condotta - Only Venice in Greece
4/65 Wallachian or Moldovian - Post 1360 options only
4/69 Albanians - Post 1360 options only
4/75 Timurid (Only Timur 1401-05 Options)
4/77 Black and White Sheep Turkoman*
Note that list options prior to 1071 or after 1526 are not permitted.